The last two weeks have been utter chaos as we prepared for and weathered my ordination celebration. The frantic preparations for guests, the party afterwards and then the visits from family that lingered over the next week have completely exhausted both me and Josh.
Phew!
While I was overjoyed to have so many folks come to celebrate with me...folks from so many different parts of my life, I have to admit that the actual ecclesiastical, institutional ordination was painful. It became so very clear to me that the institution of the Church is hierarchical, patriarchichal, and loathes any hint of non-conformity. I suppose I should be relieved to finally have "made it" into the ranks of "elders," but quite frankly it feels like an exclusive club to which I still don't belong. My social, political and theological convictions leave me at odds with the institution. While I hold the title of being now in the center, my heart and soul remains on the margins.
Thursday, June 15, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I'm sorry that it was so painful for you...but congratulations.
Have you considered Northern Illinois? It's not the be-all, end-all, but it sounds like it's got more going for it than NE. I know there are lots of logistical issues in that and that your heart is with CWM, but...
congrats on... getting into the club... just consider yourself of good company of misfits conflicted with the institutions of the church.
Post a Comment