Friday, December 22, 2006

Is That A....?


Yes. Yes, it is.

Several years back when Julie and I lived together and had a paltry supply of ornaments between the two of us, we hosted a tree trimming party in which we invited guests to bring gynocentric, gynophilic, woman-centered ornaments....and this is one we received. Our friend, Amy, just happened to have visited her doctor that same day and came toting this lovely specimen.

Each year, we watch as friends look quizzically at the tree afraid to ask if it really is what they think it is. Most men have no idea. In fact, one man, flicked it as if it were a foreign type of insect, screwed up his face and asked, "What the hell is that?" Of course, it was always infinitely more fun when we had the tree in the parsonage.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK, seriously, I don't even know what that is.

Jennifer said...

Me either! I'm feeling unwomanly.

Anonymous said...

Well don't look at me, I'm male!

If you put another one inversely below it it would approximate an ASL sign Tiffany knows that is not the sign for "dog."

HP said...

It is a plastice speculum for self exams at home...in case you were ever curious. Big thing in women's health centers in the early 90s...don't you remember Fried Green Tomatoes?

We stocked them at the peer health center in college.

Anonymous said...

I must say I have never had the urge to perform a self-exam at home. Did Kathy Bates use it? I don't remember that much detail.

HP said...

Well, you need a mirror to do it right...and as I recall Kathy Bates left the room.

Usually, you were not supposed to do it in groups...unless, well, nevermind.

Jennifer said...

Yes, I remember that scene. I'm with MB, I have no desire to examine myself. At least, not with that thing.