Tuesday, March 06, 2007

One More Thing the Christian Right Has Ruined For Me

I have a confession...I love the song, Baby Got Back, by Sir Mixalot. It began as part of a college rebellion that hoped to embrace altnertaive body image for women (despite the obvious sexism and misogyny embedded in the song)...

So Cosmo says you're fat
Well I ain't down with that!
'Cause your waist is small and your curves are kickin'
And I'm thinkin' bout stickin'
To the beanpole dames in the magazines:
You ain't it, Miss Thing!
Give me a sista, I can't resist her
Red beans and rice didn't miss her"

We loved the song so much it became part of the sacred trinity of dance music we would listen to before going partying on campus (for those of you dying to know, the other two were Like a Prayer and The Sign). Lest you think it was a mere college infatuation, you should know I also taught this song to my English students in Nicaragua (they wanted to know a rap song and it's all I knew) and even had it sung to me at my wedding (thank you, Elizabeth and Tushi)!

Needless to say, the song holds great meaning and memory for me...so, you must imagine my horror when I found this online:

6 comments:

Mary Beth said...

I saw that awhile ago and laughed until I cried. It is sort of clever despite all that is wrong with it. As a a recovering fundie, well, it's even funnier.

HP said...

Josh and I could not make it past the first verse....

Xochitl said...

Oh tls - I was saaaaadly first introduced to this song in grad school when the replacement for your previous job perfomed this song with a peer at our "variety show" = AGH!!! the horror! :-/

Natalie L. Hill said...

Hilarious!!!

I would have previously denied the possibility of including "Koinonia" and "John Wesley" in a rap.

However, if a guy every proposes to me by putting a ring in Proverbs 31, well.......

aola said...

Oh, my, gosh... I had to just turn it off....

Impossibleape said...

that is amazingly enjoyable

apparently he not only likes 'em big
but leather and bound as well



loved it


I actually gave my wife a Proverbs 31 calendar for a chrsitmas gift while we were engaged

and she still married me


love is a wonderful thing