The new church where CWM meets has a tradition of gathering with the other neighborhood churches for Palm Sunday. Together they parade into the town square led by a donkey borrowed from the Heifer Project (a la Jesus entering Jerusalem) and pray for the city. This was my first year participating and I was slightly nervous about the tone of the whole shindig. I was feeling particular pus-y (read like oozing with pus...no, it's not missing another "s") because I showed up way overly dressed for the occasion with my black suit, clerical collar and purple stole. Despite the instructions I had received from others, all the clergy (except for me) showed up in normal street garb...no collar, no stole, no nothing. I stuck out like a sore thumb!
After the service ended I was standing around waiting like magnet for press and for those who had no idea women could be clergy. In Boston, whenever I wear my collar I inevitably get comments from shocked bystanders who never cease to be amazed that I could be both female and clergy. (Though, there are some who can't put those two together and end up referring to me as "Father." No kidding.) As I waited for the questions, a really well-dressed, well-put-together, attractive, cool woman came up and grabbed my arm saying, "It is so good to see another foxy pastor woman!"
Foxy pastor woman! Excellent!
It turns out she too is clergy serving a local non-profit in the area. We laughed and lamented together about the sad, sorry state of clergywomen's fashion. I may have blogged about this in the past, but in general, when women become clergy there is some irrational, insane impulse that drives them to dress in one of two ways:
- Androgynously Asexual: Imagine bland, polyester suits, sensible shoes like your father wore circa 1965, short hair, and a gain of at least 50 pounds if not more to hide any feminine curves that might appear.
- Sickingly "Sweet": Imagine sweaters with kittens playing with a ball of yarn that dangles from the front or amorphous denim jumpers adorned only with some tacky, over the top dreamcatcher with feathers and beads (meant for one's home, not one's chest). Again, the weight gain, bad hair and plain shoes are requisite to the uniform.
There is nothing that pisses me off more than when women allow themselves to be co-opted by the patriarchy of the ecclesial institution to hide their bodies and sexuality. Before I became clergy I dressed, well, like someone who might appear on What Not To Wear or Extreme Makeover. It was only my utter hatred (and really, hatred is not too strong a word) of the frumpy (non)woman that compelled me to dress better. It is my goal in life never to succumb to the asexual image of so many of my colleagues. So, you can imagine how refreshing and exciting it was to hear someone affirm my ability to rise above the frumpiness fray and be classified as "foxy!"
Foxy, indeed!
NOTE: I am not alone in my quest for clerical style. Rev. Victoria Weinstein maintains a blog for her fashion-challenged colleagues over at Peacebang's Beauty Tips for Ministers.
4 comments:
Good for you, hot mama! But you knew already you were foxy, right? Right? Hello?
I think one of the other issues (and it's systemic, like the others that you mention) is that male parishioners seem to have no problem commenting on a female pastor's appearance in a way that no female parishioner would ever comment on a male pastor's appearance. It was an instance like that that made me very self-conscious about my attire while I was serving a church.
Some might call that, oh, I don't know, sexual harassment!
Yeah, I know. I had an early lesson on that in seminary when I had to (repeatedly) tell a very dear parishioner that it was not appropriate to comment on how he "loved my sexy black stockings" or how "attractive" he thought I was.
And I bet you had no panty line, either! :D
Reading this, I’m thinking about my friend, the skivvy washer. She falls into the latter half of the second category. But I’ve known her since before she was a minister, and she has always been that way. So this is not a case of being co-opted by the patriarchy. I wonder if I can discreetly slip her that link.
Of course, in my Baptist upbringing, there were no women pastors. But the pastor’s wives were under the same curse. It was as if there was a rule that said they had to be overweight, dress like a babushka, and wear the same bouffant plastered in polyurethane. When I joined a community church a few years ago, I was stunned to find out the skinny little thing in bootcut jeans and leather jacket in the front row was the pastor’s wife. I love her.
Thanks for the shout-out, Foxy Lady! And to Jennifer for making the introduction!
Post a Comment