Friday, August 25, 2006

Computer Chaos

Well, it finally happened. My sad, sorry, pathetic laptop finally breathed its last. Its death was not unexpected, but inconvenient to say the least as it chose to go during the clergy women's consultation PRIOR to my having finished my lecture and handouts!!

Its death prompted me to begin looking for a new laptop. I don't need anything fancy...just a decent speed, sufficient memory for my dissertation and internet capability. Not much to ask. The search should be easy, right?

WRONG!!!

I am convinced that computer retail sites make it chaotic and complicated to purchase a computer to confuse you into buying more than you need.

I have spent the past four days agonizing over what computer to buy. Going back and forth over the pros and cons, weighing the decision to buy a warranty or not, switching screens a million times to compare different models, trying to figure out the exact difference between "Latitude" and "Inspirion," (which to my best knowledge is not anything more than the name...though Josh swears there's more) and generally making myself nauseus with the thought of spending so much money in one place.

I think I finally have it narrowed down to two versions of the same computer...Dell Inspiron E1505.

Of course, now it will not arrive in time for my first day at my new temporary job at MassEquality...more on that to come later.

5 comments:

Mary Beth said...

Ooh, I've been there.

A few Christmases ago my father-in-law wanted to give me a new computer. I hemmed and hawed over what to get (but at least I knew which brand I had to choose!), and finally told Jay he had to find one for me. The specs I gave were exactly what you wrote...good speed, good memory, wireless. He picked a good one.

BUT, when I was working at the Presby church, my boss asked me to buy him a computer. If you think it's hard for you to find one for yourself, try buying one for someone else who isn't exactly sure what he wants! I got Jay on the case for that one, too. As far as I know it was satisfactory. But, my God, the PRESSURE!

Good luck!

And can't wait to hear more about the job.

And about the book meme that I tagged you with weeks ago (not that you haven't had other things to do).

Mary Beth said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Mary Beth said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Mary Beth said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
HP said...

Yeah, I asked Josh to pick one too...but he was undecided and told me it was my choice!

The book tag is all done on my part...just waiting for Josh to start his!!!