This morning we had a real test on how well my training has gone this summer learning to be Alpha Female of the pack.
I had the dogs in a "sit-stay" on the back porch while I took out the trash. It was early in the morning...not a soul on the street...that is until a woman and her husky rounded the corner. Before I knew what was happening both our dogs were barking and flying to greet the dog.
At this point, the woman FREAKS OUT. I cannot overexaggerate her absolute PANIC. She begins screaming and shielding her dog, yelling "GET YOUR DOGS! GET YOUR DOGS!!! My dog is not good on leash!" She was completely OVER-REACTING and freaking out all dogs involved. Not to mention at this point my dogs were both in our driveway!!
I, on the other hand, after a summer of training, yelled "NO! INSIDE!" and pretty much immediately both dogs turned and ran back to the porch.
The astonishing part of this whole scenario is that in fact I did not expect my dogs to listen. I was sure we were going to end up in some awful comedic/tragic situation with my dogs running through the neighborhood for hours. Yet, the lesson learned is that my dogs can behave. I can be alpha. Training works.
Our dogs are not beasts!
Monday, August 28, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Oh, honey, was there ever any doubt that you are alpha? :)
Post a Comment