Saturday, December 23, 2006

The Holidays Make Me Sick

The holidays make me sick...literally.

Each year I come down with a nasty cold/sore throat/fever/flu/you-name-it just a few days before Christmas and Easter sending me rushing to the doctor, panicked to get my hands on miracle drugs to insure I can still preach.

Usually I blame the sickness on the stress of high holdiays, particularly for religious leaders. I blame the insane worship schedule and multiple services, the increased events to attend, the added preparations needed, and the intense pressure to preach the best sermon ever. Who wouldn't get sick from all that??

This year I was convinced I had escaped it. After all, since turning in my prospectus in early December, I had declared myself on vacation. I slept in, had lunch with friends I never see, volunteered at the workers' center, shopped and shopped, knitted, made cards and hand scrubbed my kitchen floor...twice! This year I didn't even have to preach for the entire month of December!! Score!

Yet, despite what I thought was a stress-free, health inducing vacation, my holiday ills finally caught up with me. It might have had something to do with the intense vacation schedule of lunches, shopping sprees, marathon craft session, and obsessive housecleaning. Yesterday it came in the form of death dealing fever that sucked all the life out of me. At one point, after insanely turning the heat up to 70, I wrapped myself up tightly under three quilts, wearing long johns, pajamas, two pair of wool socks, a hooded sweatshirt and Josh's wool cap. Tylenol turned out to be the miracle drug for the fever but I am still left with a nasty cold and sore throat. I think I have it under control just enough to lead worship for two services and fly to Josh's parents' home before comepletely crashing.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You seemed pretty well put together this morning at 4:15 AM to take me to the airport!

[thanks so much for that...a cab from Watertown costs way more than it ought to.]

I hope you went directly back home and got in bed and stayed there!

Take your Tylenol, eat your chicken soup, and get better!

HP said...

It is amazing how well put together I can seem when need arises! The fever is gone but my throat is still killing me making it hard to talk. I hope it eases up by tomorrow since I am doing ALL the lessons at our CWM service.

Anonymous said...

Ooh, I thought I had it bad with my runny nose and hacking cough, but I think you win!

Feel better!

Jennifer said...

That stinks! I do hope you are feeling better!