Monday, July 24, 2006

Never Leaving

I am never leaving the city! I have become an urban convert.

Today I was able to walk to the RMV, register my vehicle, pay my cable bill at their local office, buy stamps at the postoffice, go grocery shopping and have a refreshing smoothie...all in less than an hour and within 1 mile of my house. Excellent!

Suburban style this trip would have taken hours and required miles of driving around, parking and waiting in lines. And, if convenience were not enough, I have found local grocers whose prices beat the big agro-grocer conglomerates and who provide me with even fresher products. Who knew city living could be this good?!?!

The extra added bonus is that I now walk so much in the course of a day, I need never set foot in a crowded, sweaty gym again!

3 comments:

Mary Beth said...

Stop. Right now.

Although today I went to the local appliance/furniture store, dropped my realtor's name to the head salesman, and got the contractor's rates on my appliances. Small town life has some perks, too.

Really.

Anna said...

TLS,

It so fun to read your adventure of moving to the city as I have just left the city for the country.

I do miss walking enough to not really need a gym membership and cheap food but I also love the fresh air and lack of people walking in front of my house.

Enjoy the city!

HP said...

I think there is a big difference between suburban and small town....

The suburbs are full of strip malls and national chains that look exactly alike from city to city. Sidewalks are unheard of and to exist you must drive. That is what I am pleased to escape from our last Boston bedroom comunity.

But you both seem to live in small towns...which are very different. There are local businesses, folks know each other, sidewalks exist (or walking trails), and the town has its own character (for better or for worse). I lived in Wiliamstown, MA for years and loved it...same things I love about the city...I can walk everywhere, go to cool stores and yummy restaurants and never have to drive if I don't want to!

Basically, I hate the burbs!