As September approached I was clear with myself that I would take on NO new responsibilities. It was time to write the prospectus and get moving on my dissertation. I had one last fling planned for the last week in August as I prepared to drive to Denver with Julie....BUT THAT WAS IT!! No more distractions! I was firm in my resolve.
Then, I went to the Reconciling Ministries Clergy gathering and was surprised by the invitation to take on the responsibility of serving as co-convener of the group and serving on the Reconciling Ministries Board. Six more meetings a year? Traveling around the country? Being with my "church?" Sure! No problem. What's a little more travel and internet collaboration??? I'm not doing that much, right?
Then, I returned home only to find a message on my phone from MassEquality and the Religious Coalition for the Freedom to Marry....they invited me to be a temporary Religious Consultant for MassEquality as they go into the next constitutional convention. While folks outside of MA may think we have won the battle for same-sex marriage, we are far from securing it. The religious right is determined to put marriage equality up for a popular vote, making vulnerable the civil rights of a minority to the whims of the majority. Don't get me started...
Back to the job saga....I was determined when I heard the message to say "NO." I have a dissertation to finish. But when I heard the job description and the bonus salary and the thought of it being only two months...I could not resist!
So much for cutting back on my work...yet, I confess I am secretly elated. While I know from all the clergy manuals on "self-care" I should have more "self-discpline" and "create space and time for myself," I THRIVE on being busy. I love it!
So off I go...
Saturday, August 26, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I hope you really have fun working at MassEquality. I just visited their website...sounds great!
Whatever you do, don't slow down!
Post a Comment