Monday, September 25, 2006

So, You Wanna Be a Ho

This week a huge lot (3,500 to 4,000 dolls) of vintage Barbies goes on the auction block at Christie's London.

As a child I had what I then believed to be the mother load of Barbies (though now in comparison it seems insignificant)...Spanish Barbie, Astronaut Barbie, Surfer Barbie, the Barbie condo, pool, RV and more. However, as a college student I began to realize the negative gender stereotypes this doll had instilled in me...perfect body, huge breasts, feet that could only wear high heels, sayings like "math is hard." You get the picture.

So, reading the article on the sale was somewhat thrilling for me...particularly when I got to this part:

"Lord pointed out that the American doll's looks were inspired by Bild Lilli, a 1950's comic strip prostitute created for the German newspaper Bild. Voluptuous figure notwithstanding, Barbie's dark past was hidden from her new US audience.

'The message for American women and little girls in the 1950s, maybe women everywhere, and maybe all women now,' said Lord, 'is that you are supposed to look like a hooker but be so wholesome.'"

I always knew something was wrong about Barbie!!! Now it makes perfect sense!

PS The title to this post comes from an old SNL skit with "Velvet Jones" played by Eddie Murphy. A classic and one of my favorites!!!


2 comments:

Mary Beth said...

"I show you how to make $20,000 dollar a week without leavin' the comfort of your own bedroom!"

I laugh until it hurts every time I see that.

So Barbie's a hooker, huh? Good to know.

Jennifer said...

Wow. I had absolutely no idea. The things you learn blogging!