Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Another Fall Meal

I really do need to work on plating my dishes. I watch Hell's Kitchen and the Iron Chef and still my plates look less than appetizing!!!

The menu for last night was squash casserole (one of Josh's favorite southern concoctions of butter with vegetables that I had never eaten before, let alone made!), red cabbage with apples and onion, mashed sweet potatoes and sweet potato pie. I cooked way too many sweet potatoes and so ended up with three pies and mashed potatoes!!!

The fried things are fried mushrooms that Josh brought back from Red's Eats. While I worked hard on my prospectus (sigh), Josh went with friends to Wiscasset, ME where they have the absolute best lobster rolls! Since lobster does not travel well, I got the equally yummy fried mushrooms.

I also found today the mother load of pumpkin recipes. We still have three pumpkins from our farm waiting to be cooked! So, look for more fall meals to come!

6 comments:

Mary Beth said...

Thanks for the links to the squash casserole and sweet potato pie recipes. Maybe I can tinker with them to suit our low-carbness here at our house. And I'd better move fast...yellow squash and zucchini are being more difficult to find around here!

I understand plating. Most of the time we're just lucky if everything gets on the table.

*Sniff, sniff* I haven't been to Maine in so long. Haven't had reason to go since Jay's grandmother passed away. Boy could I go for some fresh lobster right from the dock.

So, I'm wondering how this vegitarianism thing is going in your house, as I recall, someone there once said, "I didn't evolve to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables." :)

Jennifer said...

Yuuuuummmy! Thanks for the great link. I myself do not sweet potatos. One of the few veggies I don't like. Oh how I love fried mushrooms! I craved them when I was pregnant and made them nearly every day. I agree with MB about just getting food on the plate, lol.

HP said...

Josh is actually quite fine with the evolving vegetarianism. He also read Fast Food Nation and understands.

He eats meat when we eat out which is at least once a week these days.

This week he overloaded on his Maine adventure...went to Maine twice and had lobster three times all in the space of 3 days. Not to mention the prodigious amounts of beer and fried food.

Tonight he is taking it easy...no rich foods.

Baby J said...

Mmmm, beer...

Mary Beth said...

Oops! That was me dreaming about beer, not my kid!

Jennifer said...

LOL!!! I wondered about that. Boy, I tell ya, pastors letting their babies drink beer... dressing up like whores... what is Christianity coming to?!