Sunday, October 01, 2006

The Buddha Says

Lately it seems my life is full of struggles, whether it is struggling in the Church for a place at the table, struggling in the state to protect marriage equality or struggling in the academy to pass my prospectus. It has all left me angry and tired. So, I decided I needed something else spiritually that was more restful than the constant chrsitian/methodist journey toward perfection (sanctification).

I chose Buddhism.

Josh studied Buddhism for years in undergrad and gradute school and has often hinted that it might be helpful for me. So, I am reading Thich Nhat Hanh's "The Heart of the Buddha's Teaching."

I have found the buddhist process of identifying, analyzing and understanding our suffering particularly helpful in managing my own craziness of late. It is a helpful structure for reflecting on what we feel, why we feel it and how we might change it. The idea is that if we understand the source of our suffering (the ignoble ways of life that lead to our suffering) then we can begin to seek our freedom and liberation by cutting off the source (ceasing to behave in ignoble ways).

This is a VERY simplistic summary.

In my short two weeks of pseudo-buddhist practice, I have found this a great frame for dealing with some of the things that drive me the craziset. If the bishop makes me mad, then don't listen to him. Sounds easy.

Yet, I still struggle with what that means for the larger picture. If my suffering comes because of what I perceive to be unjust systems of prejudice/oppression in the church and the world, does my ceasing to participate in them lead to their end or only to my avoidance of them? What about the sources of suffering over which indivuals have no control like poverty, oppression, war, violence, discrimination, etc.? How does communal liberation come if it is only through individual patterns of noble living that we can end suffering?

Josh has convinced me buddhism has answers for all these questions and more and has told me I just need to read on.

And so I will.

3 comments:

Mary Beth said...

Can't wait to hear more!

Jennifer said...

You know, a friend suggested to me that my spiritual awakenings of late are much in line with Buddhist theology. But for the life of me, I can't understand why I would want to emulate someone who can't even control his own weight. I mean...really!

HP said...

I am still reading....many folks have told me I just don't get it yet. I have hope.