For those of you who thought the problem with the Church was its patriarchal, hierarchal exclusivity, you are wrong. In fact, the problem is not that men dominate Christianity, but that women and children do. That is, according to the new movement, GodMen, an organization begun to fight the "nice Christian man" syndrome that is oppressing and keeping men from fully participating in the life of the Church.
According to their marketing manager, Mike Smith, "the goal of GodMen is not to create one more 'nice' and 'safe' Christian man, a passive male whose only response to adversity is to fold his hands in prayer. Rather, the purpose of the movement is to equip an army of men who embody the spirit of the faithful and rugged Jesus."
In fact, the movement is a battle cry for men everywhere. This is a "dangerous" group. On their blog, Brad Stine describes the four basic premises to GodMen events:
1) Men need a battle.
2) Men need weapons/tools to fight with
3) Men need to be taught how to use the weapons
4) The most neglected element..Men need to be told " Ok guys, lets go fight."
What is this battle against you ask? The sin of being "nice" and all that it entails, including feminization, passivity and "The Enemy." Theirs is a return to Biblical masculinity, none of this "Gentle Jesus Meek and Mild," this is a movement filled with authentic masculine energy.
Paul Coughline writes, "The Bible describes and encourages a kind of rugged masculinity that is not the same kind of masculinity that is promoted in most church services and religious organizations. So when we tell Christian men that they are "fully authorized," it's our way of telling them that though the church doesn't necessarily want them to become more assertive, bold, and confrontational in order to become redemptive forces for good in a world at war with truth and goodness, the God of the Bible does."
All this happens through events where "real men" gather and sing songs, including this praise hit, ""Be a man, grow a pair." No joke!
Check out their website and be sure not to miss their promo video.
Tuesday, November 14, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
16 comments:
This is scary.
Yes, it is. It is a classic reversal in which women's marginalization gets turned on its head. Men are no longer the oppressors, but the oppressed.
OK, I just spent half an hour on their website and I'm starting to get sick to my stomach. What the hell is it that they intend to do? What is this "innate maleness" that they keep talking about? Are they going to just throw raw meat on stage and let the men fight over it? This just looks like carte blanche for men to take an "anything goes" attitude toward themselves, church, women, etc.
There was some garbage like this in a UM Reporter from last summer sometime, about the feminization of the church. It sounds like a chicken and egg problem to me. Men don't come to church because they don't feel like it speaks to them, but it doesn't speak to them because they don't put any effort into it. (No generalization intended. I'm speaking specifically about the men who whine because there's nothing at church for them to do.) I think there's something to it, but it's a problem to be addressed seriously on the level of the local church. T
I agree in some sense that there is too much stock placed in being "nice." I for one wish I was more confrontational when faced with people spouting garbage at me about what "true Christians" do and don't believe, but I'm too sensitive about the possibility of offending someone so I keep my mouth shut. I could use a dose of being "good" instead of "nice," but this sounds like a license to let men do anything they want and then blame it on their "innate maleness." I was particularly offended by the statement that men are required to wear "spiritual bras" when going to church. WTF?
This also sounds like that "Wild at Heart" garbage by John Eldridge. I think his premise is something along the lines of "Every man wants a beauty to rescue, a battle to fight, and an adventuresome life." He and his wife then teamed up to write another noxious tome called "Captivating," claiming that every woman wants to be romanced, to be beautiful, and to have an adventure. Give me a break...
Did you look at the blog? Some commenters really called them out but no blog administrator has replied.
Confession: As a teenager I used to go to Rocketown.
What is Rockettown?
Yea, the "spiritual bra" thing did it for me, too. Wasn't Rockettown started by Michael W. Smith?
Rocketown is:
1) A single from Michael W. Smith's 1986 album entitled The Big Picture.
2) An "underage nightclub" originally located in Franklin, TN and recently relocated to downtown Nashville. I can't remember the minimum age for Rocketown, but it was an alcohol, drug, and smoke free club that played Christian music. It was actually pretty cool. Its original location was in a very affluent part of town, so I hoped they moved it to a more central and diverse location to serve a more diverse group of people.
It's kind of cheesy, but not a terribly bad idea. It looks like they've added a lot more stuff from their website.
Michael W. Smith did, in fact, start Rocketown.
Who knew?! Sounds like a great idea to keep teens safe(r). I shudder to think what some of my parishioners do on the weekends with their friends.
The only MWS song I knew was the cheesy friends song. My youth group dabbled in some Amy Grant (I even went to her concert), but we were much more excited by Jimmy Buffet and the Steve Miller Band.
I happen to believe MWS is one of the most talented composers of our time. I have every album (or CD) he's ever made, and even after 20+ years, I think he's a wonderful musician.
Not to mention hot.
Yea, and I was told I was going to hell for listening to him and Amy.
So, can you explain to me what is so hell worthy about MSW and AG?
I'm not a true hell believer so these things are hard for me to grasp.
Oh, and I think our penchant for SMB and JB had something to do with the concert atmospheres. I'm not sure their music or fan following could have gotten into Rocketown. No drinking???
This is somewhat shaming for me to admit b/c I like to think of myself as a rather "good" high school kid.
I remember being told that Amy Grant was hellworthy (back in the 80's) because she crossed over into secular (gasp!) music. And both of them sounded a little too pop/rock to be Christian :) Anything more rousing than Sandi Patti and it was Satan's music!
Of course now Amy Grant's really on the bad list because she's (oh no!) divorced!
I was looking at MWS's discography and realized that I have a ton of his recordings, too. I used to be a big fan.
Tiff, you're such a heathen! :) I hadn't even heard of Steve Miller before I got to college!
MB- I went to an urban, college prep school. We were ahead of out time on most things (like staging a sit in...several, actually, to protest school policies).
Amy was considered hellworthy long before crossing into rock/pop because her sound was too danceable. Anything that wasn’t in the old red Hymns of the Faith was Satan’s doing, in these people’s minds. Plus no Christian woman ought to be strutting around in jeans in front of anyone. Her cross into the mainstream genre and leaving her husband only served to prove them right.
Ditto MWS – his songs made you want to move your hips, and God knows hip moving is right up there with murder!
Who knew? I thought it was only the divorce.
The students at the seminary have a new preaching text that instructs future preachers to "watch your groin area." Apparently, for preachers as well any hip/groin movement is hellworthy!
Oh, then you must listen to this. It's worth it, I tell you:
http://www.shipoffools.com/Signs/blunders/hello_pastor.html
Enjoy!
Post a Comment