I can't believe it!
Daniel won!!!!! The Sandinistas have come back!!
I can't believe it!
This week, leading up to the Nicaraguan elections, I have been trying to hold at bay my hope that the Daniel Ortega, former revolutionary and president of Nicaragua would win the elections 16 years after being ousted by the US government. (During the elections, the US government promised to end the Contra war if they defeated Ortega in the polls. What kind of choice is that? War? Or a new president? You choose.)
Could it possibly happen? No, not with the continued intervention and threats of the US.
But it did!!!
Daniel's victory marks the end of fear and intimidation by the US and the turn from capitalist politics that only benefit the rich, to the return of the revolucion and the politics of the people. Under Daniel's last presidency he vaccinated the entire country, taught the populace how to read , set up health centers throughout the country, distributed the land to the poor who had been slaves of large plantation owners for decades, bought private utility companies so that they the people could afford clean water, electricity and gas, and offered a wide array of social services for the poor. During the 1980's the international community flocked to Nica to see this new type of government in action. Despite having to fight a US sponsored war (the Contra War...remember the Iran Contra Scandal), the government succeeded in being a government for the poor.
Overly idealistic? Of course, I am. But who couldn't be given the history of the Nicaraguan people and the dream they realized, if only for a decade, of a government that actually benefited the poor.
Can it be?
As I watch the web page psuedo-celebration, I cannot hold back the tears.
In celebration of the day, take a moment to listen to the love song of the revolucion, Nicaragua, Nicaraguita, a folk song by Carlos Mejia Godoy. The lyrics are below.
Ay Nicaragua, Nicaraguita
La flor mas linda de mi querer
Abonada con la bendita, Nicaraguita,
Sangre de Diriangen.
Ay Nicaragua sos mas dulcita
Que la mielita de Tamagas
Pero ahora que ya sos libre, Nicaraguita,
Yo te quiero mucho mas
Pero ahora que ya sos libre, Nicaraguita,
Yo te quiero mucho mas
Oh Nicaragua Nicaraguita
most beautiful flower of my love
fertilized with the blessed blood of Diriangen
Oh Nicaragua you are even sweeter
Than the honey from Tamagas
But now that you are free
Nicaraguita
I love you much more
But now that you are free
Nicaraguita
I love you much more
Viva la revolucion!!
Monday, November 06, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment