Who knew peace could be so divisive?Apparently this peace wreath has caused quite a stir in a local Colorado subdivision. Labeled as "anti-Iraq" and "Satanic," the peace wreath was officially banned from the subdivision and the homeowner fined $25 a day for displaying it.
I suppose in an ideologically divided nation, some could interpret this as a sign of protest, yet it puzzles me to see the symbol as Satanic, particularly in the Advent season leading up to Christmas.
In the next four weeks churches across the nation will read scripture after scripture about peace..."the lion shall lie down with the lamb," "we shall beat our swords into plowshares," and "study war no more." For Christ's sake (and I mean that literally), what about "peace on earth goodwill toward all?"
If the Advent/Christmas season isn't about peace, what is it?
3 comments:
OH.
MY.
GOD.
I grew up hearing that the peace sign was a broken cross, and therefore Satanic. I drove my mother and the other church ladies insane by continuing to wear it all over my body. Hahahahaha.
But anti-Iraq??? Um, how about anti-WAR? Big difference. But of course, the pinheads protesting the wreath don't understand that. Sorry, I'm a big grouchy today and this set me off. :)
If the Advent/Christmas season isn't about peace, what is it?
It's about conspicuous consumption!
It's about getting stuff!
It's a rallying point for fundies and their rants about "the war on Christmas/Christians!"
And speaking of wars, it's a good reminder that anyone who isn't like us is our enemy and should be destroyed!
I'm a little cranky, too
Jennifer - I was shocked when Josh told me the Satanic angle. He grew up in a fundy church and heard that too. I suppose I missed out in my bland Catholic/Protestant/agnostic home.
MB- You wrote the tirade I deleted. Sometimes I go over board on my rants. Thanks for finishing it for me!!! You are so right.
It makes me hate Christmas. This year I am trying to rally agaimnst my anti-consumer, anti-holiday spirit by decorating the house. We'll see.
Post a Comment