Last week I spent my time driving on the open road from Boston to Denver. Visiting old friends (Sue and Julie; Matt and Pauletta) and making new ones along the way (Jan and Lisa and their delightful children, Emma and Jesse), Julie and I traveled over 2000 miles. (Yes, it is true. I left Josh and the boys behind for a women only vacation.)
Four days on the road gives you plenty of time to talk and talk we did....we planned the revolution of the UMC, created our dream team for General Conference, and concocted brilliant protest/witness plans involving cowboys, dismembered body parts and biblically based sign-acts springing from Deut. 23:1. Captive in our car, we made ourselves laugh until we cried! It is interesting how funny you find yourself when isolated from the rest of the world!
Once in Denver we continued the fun traveling to Royal Gorge, passing on the daily hangings advertised at Buckskin Joe's, stopping by the famous store, "Fluff Em, Buff Em, Stuff Em," wandering through the Garden of the Gods during a thunderous rain storm, drinking lithium laced water, purifying the Focus on the Family compound, touring the Celestial Seasonings' factory, meeting up with Village people, Val and Amy, coasting through Trail Ridge Road, climbing Mt. Evans (okay, so we drove the first 28 miles and walked the last 1/2 mile!), and spotting wildlife such as marmots, white shaggy mountain goats, bighorn sheep, and elk!
Now it is back to work...12 hour work days split between three tasks...propsectus, church and MassEquality. But never fear...one more vacation is on the horizon...Josh and I are heading to his brother's wedding in South Carolina in two weeks!
Wednesday, September 06, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
I'm jealous! Please tell us more about purifying the Focus on the Family campground, because that really sounds like it might have been the best part. (I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that it might have something to do with bodily fluids. Am I right? Am I right?) Well, that and the Celestial Seasonings factory.
Have a good trip to SC. Which brother is getting married?
Uh, no body fluids...
We used sage as a purifying element like some Native American tribes. We smudged, prayed and took souvenir photos.
We were going to go during the day when they were open and smudge and pray as a sign-act of sorts, but time ran out....we didn't make it there until 10 PM.
Joseph, the youngest brother, is getting married.
Oh, sorry. Sometimes I think I hang out with boys too much.
Did I mention I gave into my baser impulses and flipped off the compound???
It was WRONG. I know it was WRONG.
So, I am not holier than thou.
I think it's perfectly acceptable to invoke the "It needed flippin' off" defense.
I would've done it...and laughed.
And had it been me, I would have purified with bodily fluids.
Do you know the story of me and another seminarian who shall remain nameless on the steps of Widener Library at Harvard?
Yes, I know the story, but I did not know it was you!!!!
I tell that story often!
Too funny!
Post a Comment