I must confess I love the Indigo Girls and when I say "love," I mean LOOOVE. So you might imagine both my surprise and delight when I discovered this morning that as part of our board meeting we would attend a concert of Don and Emily Saliers.
In fact, I was so excited that at the announcement I jumped up and down in my seat and clapped my hands. This is not an exaggeration. It probably was not the best first impression to make as a new board member (I suppose the suggestion to throw blood on ecclesial officials at General Conference didn't help my image much either...it was a joke...of sorts).
I was going to see Emily Saliers in concert at an event for activists like me!!! I immediately began to fantasize that I would get to meet her...because why wouldn't she want to meet the board of leading gay activists in her own home denomination??? We would be stars after all!
I became fixated on what I would wear and say. I was quite distressed at my potential wardrobe options as I wore my folksy Turkish wrap today and only had a brown blazer for tomorrow. Maybe I could go buy a new outfit.....
I also obsessed about what I would say and how I would introduce myself. I know someone who knows Emily, but how do I make that connection, after all I have not seen that person in years (after I failed to edit and publish her text as she asked me to). Could I say I am a friend of Suzanne or a colleague? Do I say "you know, 'Suzanne-calls-from-Boston,' Suzanne," quoting back her lyrics?
With all these questions swirling around it was quite difficult to pay attention to the dreary board matters of reports and committee check ins, let alone remember that the concert was for the benefit of a pastor facing defrocking in the Lutheran Church and not for the benefit of my crush on the Girls.
Friday, January 19, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment