Monday, January 15, 2007

Music That Moves Me

This week as I found myself weeping in my car, listening to my new favorite Indigo Girls song (Pendulum Swinger) , I began to wonder what was it about this song that evoked such emotion in me. In general I don't think of myself as a "music person." I can't sing (and for those of you who might doubt this, just ask anyone unfortunate enough to sit near me during a worship service); I have never been good with pop music (except for a brief span of a few months in elementary school when I was trying to "learn" to be cool and memorized the entire play list of Q102 in Cincinnati. I could repeat the title and name of a group within just a few bars of any song circa 1985); and I hardly ever listen to music at home (I prefer silence).

Yet, in the midst of this crying fit over the image of a woman, like me, trying to make a difference in the institutional church, I realized that I do in fact like the evocative, poetic quality of music that can arouse such strong feelings in me, even as I drive to pick up the dogs from day care. It is cathartic and good and offers up new ways to reflect on what is going on in my life. (Like weeping over the image of Church should tell me there is something I need to think about vocationally...)

So, then I began to think about all the music that has moved me over time. While the Indigo Girls figure prominently (and why not?), there are other songs about which I have been passionate in the past. Some made me weep, others made me dance...but these are songs that I listened to over and over and over again. Here are just a few listed (roughly) chronologically...

  • High School Hits: My high school friends loved Steve Miller. We would go to his concert almost every summer together. The two best songs for me were always "Take the Money and Run" (who could resist the clever clapping) and "The Joker" (what a great line about "peaches"). I was also in love with Sting, listening endlessly to the Police's greatest hits....who doesn't love "Roxanne?" My senior year of high school was also the first time I ever heard the Indigo Girls. My firend, Tushi, and I were driving back from Keith Stanton's house (who I believe she was dating at the time?) and she put in the cassette (yes, cassette) of their 1989 release with the first track "Closer to Fine." We listened to it over and over again and it is still a favorite!!
  • College Favs: In college there were three songs we listened to every time we went out. Before leaving for campus parties we had to listen and dance to: "Baby Got Back" (also played at my wedding), "Like a Prayer" (with choreographed hand motions), and "The Sign" (yes, that is Ace of Base). I also fell asleep every night to James Taylor's Greatest Hits listening to "Sweet Baby James" over and over again. And, of course, my obsession continued with the Indigo Girls listening to every song they ever recorded over and over again.
  • Grad School and Beyond: While I was living in Nicaragua I loved Latin American protest songs, my favorite being the ode to the revolution in Nicaragua, "Nicaragua, Nicaraguita" by Carlos Mejia Godoy. I even got to see him perform live at a very upscale bar in Managua (oh, the times have changed). Grad school could be summed up by the Indigo Girls, particularly their song "Watershed" as I tried to figure out what to do with my life. I also went to see them in concert every year of my masters program. However, there was a time when I was also very into Destiny's Child (particularly "Independent Women" from the Charlie's Angels soundtrack). I also became attached to Janet Jackson's song, "All for You ", singing it ad nauseum the night I found out I was valedictorian for my seminary class ( who doesn't groove to Janet?). I also went through a Jewel phase where I listened to and preached on almost every song off her Spirit cd.
What songs have moved you?

NOTE: After posting this it seems the title is not very apt for the majority of songs I have listened to over and over again. They are, well, shall we say, not exactly the "evocative, poetic" type I first began thinking about. Oh well, see that first paragraph where I confess to being "not a music person."

9 comments:

ted said...

I totally forgot about Keith Stanton.

I remember your Ace of Base phase. In fact, every time I heard Ace of Base, I think of you.

Thought, I, too, can't sing, I'm a little obsessed with music. Songs that have move me are too numerous to list, but some that come to mind are

"Sometimes It Snows in April" by Prince (on Parade). It's so sad that I have tot turn it off when I hear the first few notes. I heard it played at a memorial service for a friend from college, and I had to leave the hall.

"The Origin of Love" from Hedwig and the Angry Inch. I referenced it at the wedding of two of my best friends. A very, very happy time. And it's a genius song.

"Fox in the Snow" by Belle and Sebastian.

"Better Man" by Pearl Jam.

"What Would I Do?" from "Falsettos." The ultimate love song, as far as I'm concerned. And sad, sad, sad in the context of the show.

"All My Little Words" by the Magnetic Fields. It's probably the best song on "69 Love Songs."

Um...wait...I think I have my own blog. Sorry!

Anonymous said...

Heh, This does make a good blog topic. I'll have to whip up an entry for the Goat and Chicken.

Although we um...have somewhat divergent taste in music. I don't think I could have endured an Ace of Base phase...

HP said...

Ted,

I remember your Better Man phase...I think of you every time I hear it! You put it on a mix tape for me entitled, "Ching...Catch the Quarter"...classy.

Kirk,

Hey, don't judge for the party music...it was college, there was alcohol involved, and I do like the Induigo Girls...don't I get some points for that??

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Tiff, now I've been obsessing about this all day! This is going to be really long, but you asked...

In high school I pretty much stayed on a Christian Contemporary kick. I loved anything by Michael W. Smith, especially The Live Set and I 2 Eye. I also really liked Wes King after I heard him unplugged at a coffee shop, but he never released any acoustic albums. Later in high school I got really into Harry Connick Jr. I had almost all of his tapes (yes, tapes), including the soundtrack to When Harry Met Sally, which eventually wore out. I also listened to Natalie Cole's Unforgettable until the tape broke.

The soundtrack to my freshman year in college consisted almost entirely of Pearl Jam's Ten album, Jane's Addiction's Ritual de lo Habitual, Red Hot Chili Peppers' Blood Sugar Sex Magik and lots of Led Zeppelin.

I really can't remember what our "get fired up to go to parties" music was, because it wasn't stuff I'd typically listen to. Other favorites were Toad the Wet Sprocket's Dulcinea, Sting's Ten Summoner's Tales (which I could still never get tired of), Big Head Todd and the Monsters' Sister Sweetly, and Gin Blossoms New Miserable Experience. Dave Matthews, of course, was a biggie on the soundtrack of my life, even into seminary and beyond. (Too many albums to name). Party songs that never failed always included a bunch by Steve Miller, and a party never started until we heard "You Shook Me All Night Long" by AC/DC. Jay just reminded me of Green Day's Dookie and Mighty, Mighty Bosstones' Question the Answers and Don't Know How to Party

I think "Closer to Fine" is one of the best songs ever recorded. I also had a stint where I listened to Lenny Kravitz's "Are You Gonna Go My Way" all the time.

In seminary I listened to Everclear a lot, especially So Much for the Afterglow. I liked Sublime's album by the same name, too.

When we moved to California I started listening to Nelly's Country Grammar all the time. I don't listen to his newer stuff, but I think the early stuff is really great.

The most recent CD I acquired was Norah Jones' Come Away With Me. I don't listen to music much anymore at home and in the car I'm an NPR addict. Maybe I just wore myself out early on.

Anonymous said...

As long as all of us are confessing.... I used to LOVE the Air Supply. I can still remember all the lyrics of every song they ever sang. Remember, I just moved from Korea and I didn't know what was cool or not...
Nowdays, some of my favorites are David Matthews, Oscar Peterson, Nina Simone, Indigo Girls, Miles Davis, and Tom Waits. It's interesting how one's musical taste changes with time.

Jennifer said...

I am the biggest James Taylor fanatic. My daughter knew every word to every song by the time she was 5. Ditto the Beatles. I just love classic rock – Styx, Eagles, Jackson Browne… even the really old cheesy stuff like Joan Baez and Joni Mitchell. I really can’t stand contemporary pop or rock at all. As far as “moving” me though, I have to admit, it's the good old Hymns of the Faith I grew up hating. I find myself humming them now, and they comfort me. I think mostly because they remind me of my mother.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I forgot Paul Simon! My very first album was Here Comes Rhymin' Simon and I still love Rhythm of the Saints, Negotiations and Lovesongs and Concert in the Park.

Just to mix it up a little, the most recent concert I went too, just about two years ago, was the Beastie Boys!

HP said...

MB - I forgot about my Harry Connick obsession. I think I even had a picture of him on my freshman dorm wall.

Dave - I still know all the Air Supply songs. It was a constant soundtrack in our car for a while.

Jenn - I have a friend who actually met James Taylor in Boston. He was just walking down the street and she said, "Are you James Taylor?" and then continued to act like a groupie for several blocks walking with him until she realized how dorky she must appear.

Jennifer said...

Ooooh, I went through a Harry Connick thing too!