Tuesday, January 23, 2007

In Earnest

Today is my first day of "writing in earnest" on my dissertation (okay, well, yesterday was supposed to be...but I had a meeting with my advisor AND went to the library...so that counts for something, right?)

So, I woke up on time...before seven (to be at my desk by exactly seven), but Josh was awake and the dogs were sleeping on me and well, it was so nice to just lay there and talk, that I didn't get up until 8 AM. Not too bad for a first try.

But then I realized it had snowed the night before and I really want to be a good neighbor (especially considering our dogs can sometimes be disruptive to the peace and quiet of our upstairs neighbor). So I shoveled the two walkways, stairs (front and back), long, wide driveway and sidewalks (we live on a rather large corner lot).

All set to study and it was only 9:30...not too bad for a first try.

But then I remembered that my friend and her two kids were visiting later the day and the house was a wreck. I told myself I would only do a quick sweep of the mountains of dog hair and be done. But an hour later I had done Josh's laundry (something I NEVER do), straightened the piles of stuff laying around, swept the whole house, put away my mound of not-dirty-enough-to wash-yet clothes, and washed all the dishes. Then I realized I need to shower and eat (since I skipped breakfast for shoveling).

So, here it is nearly noon and I am writing...but only on my blog.

Oh well. Tomorrow is a new day.

3 comments:

Mary Beth said...

Who's Earnest?

Jennifer said...

I'm just relieved to learn that I am not the only woman to keep a mound of not-dirty-enough-to wash-yet clothes! I feel better, personally.

Mason Dixon said...

MB,

Best comment ever.

Love,
MD