I have found a new obsession on craigslist. With the dishwasher in hand, I am now fixated on getting a station wagon. While I have yet to sell Josh on this brilliant idea, I think my argument is both logical and sound.Our Mazda, while not a pretty sight, is in rather good mechanical condition. It will last us another five years even withstanding the beating I give it on a regular basis (and by beating I mean trashing...who cleans cars? I have enough with the house!). The problem is that while it works just fine, it is sadly inadequate for my doggy needs. Cletus, as you may remember from past posts, is well, shall we say, "special." He tends toward nervous, if not down right neurotic. At home, it is only slightly problematic: remembering to watch out for his full body slams when thunder approaches or keeping an open lap for minor excitable moments when he needs the comfort of his mother's lap...all 65 pounds of him.
The real problem comes in the car. He hates the car. Despite promises from our vet and trainer that he would grow out of this auto anxiety, he has not. His neurosis manifests itself in two primary ways. First, he slobbers and I mean slobbers. He routinely has two (if not four) faucets
of spit that drool continuously forming large puddles of doggy goo all over the back seat and Norbert. Whenever we take the dogs somewhere in the car, people always comment how wet our dogs are. I used to explain what it was, but after watching the grossed out looks of people whose hands were covered in Cleto-spit, I decided to play dumb. "Huh, that's interesting. I have no idea why Norbert is dripping wet." Second, if we drive too long or too soon after he has eaten the poor pooch tosses his cookies all over the car. We have gone through three comforters, one heavy duty back seat dog hammock, several towels and a good number of sheets. Even with all of the seat protection, the mess is too much to handle.The solution to my doggy woes of course is to get a car specially designed for easy clean up...a wagon! With the plastic back area, all I would have to do is hose out the cargo area. Plus, it is much bigger than a back seat, has a doggy bar for safe driving and can haul shit. Who doesn't need a car that can haul any reasonable purchase? And what's more no trunk to clean out!
We had planned on waiting to get a wagon until this car dies...but that means no trade in value. My brilliant idea is to sell it now and use the proceeds to go toward a car that will last us a little longer and be more serviceable.
I obsessed for two days straight, checking craigslist and edmunds compulsively. I had finally decided that while much needed, the obsession was becoming unhealthy. Just when I resolved myself to wait a year, I got an email reply from a guy with the subaru pictured above. It is priced $1500 under fair market value and seemed a deal I couldn't pass up. Josh and I will go look at the car tomorrow.The obsession continues...
4 comments:
UPDATE: Turns out the car we were looking at has the 2.5L engine made from 94-99 by Subaru that routinely blows a gasket...literally. Bad news.
In finding this helpful fact out I discovered a new car(s) to lust after. There is a guy who calls himself the "SubaruGuru" and reconditions and sells subarus. His craigslist post was loooong and detailed. In order to buy a car you have to have an interview with him and spend, according to his email, 2-3 hours listening and learning about your future car.
Even if we don't buy one from him, it has to be a good lesson, right?
Bummer.
I suppose the SubaruGuru is the way to go if your heart is set on a Subaru. I would've bought one instead of my Camry if I could've afforded it.
Are you guaranteed a good deal from the Guru? I'd listen to his yammering if it meant I got a good deal.
We are still undecided. It will be a used car....probably a 2002 or so...but slightly more than we had hoped to pay. I'm calling the guy today, so we'll see.
Josh is still not completely sold, but he really likes the guru's style. We got the thumbs up from both our fathers which means alot!
Used Subarus are really hard to come by, especially at a decent price, because no one ever wants to give theirs up. If you can get one I'd jump on the chance.
Post a Comment