Monday, May 21, 2007

Nothing Like Good Ole Fashion Gospel Tunes...

...well, unless they are from the Westboro Baptist Church!

That's right, Fred Phelps and his hating hooligans have a new para-site where you can watch music videos and listen to tracks laid down by their very own hellfire and brimstone choir. It is perhaps one of the most surreal images I have seen in quite some time.

The melody of "We Are the World" softly plays underneath their revised lyrics crooning, "god hates the world and all her people." If not for the carefully laid captions, you might for a moment think you were watching a relief video much like the 80's hit on which they based their corrupted version. Reminiscent of a world hunger video, the choir of mostly clean cut teens stands gathered around a single microphone, singing and swaying with self-congratulating smiles and unrestrained joy. The contrast between image and lyrics is jarring to say the least.

The web design is interesting in and of itself. A collage of rally posters from different events, it showcases all the best Phelps slogans. My personal favorite is "Your Pastor is a Whore!" Do you think he might loan that one to me?

I suppose the release party is just in time for their next big church outing.

BEWARE: The para-site is not a pretty one!

8 comments:

geneaologybuff said...

The link to the para-site doesn’t work. :( But I read the Phelps story about protesting Falwell’s funeral and I just don’t get it. They think Falwell was too loving and accepting of people? What planet do they live on?

HP said...

That's odd...the link worked for me. Maybe try cutting and pasting...then again, I'm not sure you actually want to see it. The God Hates the World was surreal, but the second video I clicked on was so disturbing I had to turn it off. It made me nauseus.

I'll fix the link for others.

HP said...

Link fixed.

Watch at your own risk.

Anonymous said...

Just when you thought it was bizarre enough....

CNN is reporting a student at Liberty had explosives ready to bomb the Phelps based protesters!

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/05/22/va.bombarrest/index.html

blessed be...the ties that bind....our hearts in Christian love!

Anonymous said...

Is it wrong that I found those videos hilarious?

Far from being 'scary' or making me 'angry' or even 'sad' they just showed me how far these people have gone from being even moderately relevant. They've gone so far off the deep end no one is even going to be listening to them anymore. They'd be more insidious if they had remained somewhat in the 'mainstream' with their rhetoric ala Focus on the Family and all.

Really, they've crossed over being anything important and turned themselves into a joke. Anyone who takes them seriously enough to elicit a response runs the risk of being part of the joke by wasting their time and breath.

They can sing to the choir all they want. They'll have their fun when the spaceship comes to take them or they drink the kool-aid or get run over by the FBI's armored vehicles after forcing their hand or something. It's the way cults go out.

Anonymous said...

501c3's like that make a good tax shelter for people like Phelps, especially when they have no connection or affiliation to other groups and consist mostly of family members.

But blatently false doctrine is still false no matter which extreme. Their statements are probably no worse than saying that God should bless American (and Americans) because we're not Communist, Talaban, Afgan, North Korean, Iraqi, Iranian, Pakistani, Hindu, Muslim, Budist, Bloods, Cripts, or any of a multitude of other groups that we think don't deserve the rights the U.S. constitution tried to offer everyone (including non-U.S citizens) as "self-evident".

But I couldn't see or hear any of the presentations as I just don't have that kind of bandwidth; I only have a phone connection.

Besides, they are probably just trying to get attention, and each "view" or "listen" adds one more to their page count visitors, including my aborted attempts.

Mary Beth said...

Gah. Can you say "attention-seeking?"

HP said...

Kirk, you are right that it just makes them irrelevant...but the images (particularly in the cartoonish one) are so disturbing, I just couldn't watch it. It was like South Park on a bad trip.

Okay, so I confess that I laughed at the We Are The World spoof.

I guess what disturbs me most are not the lunatic adults, but the teens and children who get swept up in this cult. My heart breaks for them.