Friday, May 25, 2007

A Song for Gorgons

Originally written as a feminist response to nuclear proliferation, this poem speaks across time and movements to me about our collective life in the Church. It is one of my favorite poems. I hope you like it too!

************************************************************************************

A Song for Gorgons

Gorgons, unruly gorgons,
With eyes that start, with curls that hiss -

Once I listened to the father's lies,
Took their false advice:
I mustn't look at you, I'd turn to
Stone.

But now I meet your clear furious stare and
It is my natural self that I become.
Yes, as I dare to name your fury
Mine -
Long asleep,
Writhing awake.

Ssisters, ssisters - of course they dread us.
Theirs is the kingdom
But it is built upon lies and more lies.
The truth-hissing, wide-open rude
Glare of our faces-
If there were enough of us -
Could show their powers and their glories
To be what they merely are and
Bring their death-dealing kingdom
Down.

This is a song for gorgons -
Whose dreaded glances can in fact bless,
The men who would be gods we turn
Not to stone but to mortal flesh and blood and bone.
If we could stare them into accepting this,
The world could live at peace.

I sing this song for those with eyes that start,
With curls that hiss,
Our slandered wrath is our truth, and -
If we honor this -
Can deal not death but healing.

I sing: Our will be done!

I sing: Their kingdom wane!

-Barbara Deming

No comments: