Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Wintermint?

So we found a car we love...okay, well, love is not quite right...

The features (including heated seats, cool mirror and AWD), condition, mileage, extras (including new sets of brakes and tires to install in a year) are exactly what we want. The problem is the color of the car is "wintermint;" this pastel-y faux green color that exudes passivity and fru-fruness. I suppose on the other hand I could think of it as a calming, non-anxious presence type of car. But who am I kidding? That's not me! I keep telling myself that the color of the car is not important, but I cannot yet envision me driving such a frilly car.

I want the car. I don't want the color.

There was a red car available which would have matched my wardobe much better...but alas it was not nearly the quality or value as the wintry green one.

The funny thing is that when I was looking at the car, I didn't mind the color. It was a non-issue. It was only after I got home and started thinking or some might say second-guessing, that I began to fixate on the silly color.

I have to call the dealer this morning...so, I'll keep you posted.

UPDATE: Okay, so the color is not called "wintermint," it's "wintergreen" and it is not really as pastel as I imagined. Plus, this color wears better than the darker primary colors, like the red I so lust after. So, we bought the car!! YEAH! No more vomit clean ups or stinky back seats!!

It turns out that we got a very good deal. The dealer paid just $700 less than what he charged us. The dealer is a "semi-retired" engineer who operates a dealership from his home. He loves Subarus (or Subies as the cool kids call them) and does this as a hobby. He threw in a dog gate and dog mate for free (retail value $250 +) and spruced up our old Mazda so we could get a better price for it!

YEAH!

UPDATE 2: We close on the car tomorrow morning. We should have closed today but our insurance agent was not on the ball. It took him nearly 24 hours to fax the form he said he would have done in a matter of minutes. Sigh.

We still have issues picking up and registering the car since I out straight for the next four days at a local training. It's all up to Josh now!

5 comments:

Mary Beth said...

Tiff, buy the car. It's beautiful. It's just what you want (color excluded). It'll last forever. It does exactly what you need it to do. Just buy it.

HP said...

We did! Just finishing up the financing now!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your first step toward being a bona fide soccer mom!

*snicker*

Great utility car for you though. Just don't forget that it's not for storage of stuff, just hauling it around. Otherwise you'll be paying more for gas and cleaning up doggy anxiety off your stuff!

Mary Beth said...

And now, despite my proddings, I am officially jealous.

HP said...

The loan is all set up and ready to go...we just have to work out when to pick up the check and the car by tomorrow.

I have a weekend training that begins on Thursday and goes through Sunday which is going to make it extremely hard to do anything else.

The other quandry I have is that I have to turn in the old plates of our old car to get new plates for the new car. That means I can't drive to the DMV since I'll have no plates either on the way there or the way home. I supopse public transit could work, but not on my abbreviated schedule tomorrow. We may have to wait to next week to drive the car.